Higher diploma in Visual Arts and Design for Textile Art
The Advanced Vocational Training Module in Textile Art has an interdisciplinary curriculum. Extensive training is provided that draws on different creative techniques and methodologies targeted at developing the professional tools needed within the industrial and art sectors.
This curriculum covers and puts students into contact with the fields of design, art and clothing in both 2D and 3D by using technical resources and visual languages appropriate to professional and/or artistic demands.
The content learning provided on this course involves aspects such as the use of technical and traditional sector procedures, and a knowledge of contemporary art expressions.
The systems of creation and different artistic techniques considered include: textile materials and knitted fabrics; low-wrap woven fabrics; pattern design; patterns, fabric dying and silkscreen printing; upholstery and carpet-weaving; embroidery and knitting; volume applied to the body and space. All the other modules, such as colour, drawing, computer skills, morphology, history and occupational training and guidance, focus specifically on the textile sector and its possibilities to provide for projects that find a balance between art and design.
Textile art at Escola Massana dates back to the 1960s with modules covering textile patterns, upholstery and carpet weaving design. The course has been evolving ever since to become richer by adapting to new times, while conserving the foundational spirit of its origins.
- Expert in the resources suitable for the field and artistic work, clothing, stage design, textile research and fabrics for interior decorating/cladding. Along with the knowledge acquired, it also covers technological innovations and new materials.
- Textile sector companies (design team training, coordination and management).
- Artisan workshops and art studios (design team training, coordination and management).
- Knitted and woven, low-wrap and embroidered fabric design and prototypes.
- Print designs for homeware, fashion and clothing.
- Fabric collections, as an employee and/or coordinator.
- Study and interpretation of fabric, colour, pattern and textile material trends.
- Contributor to specialised sector magazines and journals.
- Clothing and homeware accessory design.
- Creation of works and artistic montages.
- Shows, installations and artworks.
- Textile businesses (service companies and textile consultants).
Work placement objectives
To facilitate transition into work and train qualified professionals for the workplace.
To identify and provide a detailed analysis of skills and career expectations.
To consolidate the skills learnt through on-the-job experience by building on the knowledge learnt through workplace and vocational experience.
To provide practical training in accordance with agreements between the Catalan Ministry of Education, the educational establishment and the business or organisation.
The professional placement tutor coordinates and prepares the IT and vocational guidance resources, as well as supervising each student in their on-the-job training.
The final project is of a global nature and includes all the different areas of academic and technical knowledge covered in the course. It is designed to showcase the students’ achievements and proficiency regarding the knowledge, processes, techniques and skills required to work in the field and to further their careers within the specialty and demonstrate the level attained.
The objectives are:
- Use and mastery of the theoretical and practical skills needed for project development.
- Planning and structuring of the work process.
- Presentation and defence of the project before an assessment committee.
Structure and Content of the Two Academic Years
|Content of Modules||Module Hours||Hours per Week|
|1st year||2nd year|
|History of Artistic Textiles||105||3|
|History of Contemporary Textile Art||75||2|
|Spatial and Volumetric Morphology||90||3|
|Printing and Dyeing Workshop||165 150||3||2|
|Low Warp Loom Workshop||370||3||2|
|Textile Art Workshop||105||6||5|
|Rugs and Tapestries Workshop||75||3|
|Embroidery and Lace Workshop||180||3|
|Projects: Textile Art||60||3||3|
|Training and Professional Orientation||25||2|
|Training in Centres of Work||80|
|Total hours per course||1950|